Since Zotcubed last wrote about men’s volleyball, you could say that John Speraw’s group has done a pretty good job. Let’s recap. Our Anteaters…
- Won six straight
- Exacted revenge on Stanford in Palo Alto, winning 3-1 (25-21, 17-25, 25-17, 25-15) after losing 3-0 earlier in the season in Irvine.
- Defeated then No. 1 UCLA on the road in an epic 3-2 dogfight (25-22, 23-25, 25-18, 25-27, 15-13)
- Took over the No. 1 spot in the nation
- Installed a new setter, Chris Austin, into the starting lineup.
- Set themselves up to win the MPSF regular season crown, all but assuring UCI a guaranteed bid in the NCAA Tournament so long as they win the games they should win in the regular season.
- Are the best collegiate volleyball team in the nation. Did I mention that already?
If we look at the championship teams from years past, both 2007 (29-5) and 2009 (26-4) had similar records to this year’s team (18-3). UCI has one true test remaining, a re-match with UCLA at the Bren Events Center. Not only would it be awesome to sweep the Bruins 3-0 on the season series, UCI would then be accountable for three of UCLA’s five losses on the season.
Clearly, if you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet, now is the time to do so. Coach Speraw and his staff will undoubtedly have his guys ready to play down the home stretch, and come May 5 at the Galen Center, the Anteaters may be hoisting yet another championship trophy.